Keeping Your Hoshizaki Ice Machine Clean
It is important to clean and sanitize your Hoshizaki ice machine at least once a year, preferably semi-annually. Depending on local water conditions, some machines may need to be cleaned more frequently. While you can find complete cleaning instructions located on the reverse side of the front panel, we are here to walk you through the steps.
- Remove all ice from the bin – you do not want contamination.
- Turn off the water and drain water sump tank.
- To start cleaning the Evaporator, mix your cleaning solution (LIME-A-AWAY or Hoshizaki Scale Away) with warm water. Ratios are located on the front panel.
- Pour the solution into the sump and move the toggle switch to the wash position (some units have an additional valve that should be switched to open or clean).
- The valve should be open for about 5 minutes and should be closed when done.
- The solution should be circulated until the unit is clean. This may take some time depending on how dirty the ice machine is.
- Empty the sump once it is clean.
- Remove the check valve, spray tube, float switch, rubber connector.
- These should be taken apart and soaked in the ice machine cleaner.
- Once it is clean, the unit should be sanitized. The de-scaling chemicals won’t clear the algae and bacteria. Run the sanitizing chemical through the unit in the same manner the cleaner was.
- Make sure the sanitizer and cleaner are not mixed. This can be harmful.
Maintaining your unit will increase the life of the machine and decrease service calls. Scale build-up or lack of maintenance has resulted in unit failure, so make sure this is on your yearly to-do list.
If you have any questions on how to properly sanitize your Hoshizaki ice machine, contact us. The friendly staff at Best Refrigeration Co., Inc., Sales & Service is here to help!